Job Title: Transition Advocate
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Location: Birmingham, AL
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Must have knowledge of and commitment to independent living philosophy. Must have good organizational, planning, communication, and interpersonal skills. Must work well as a member of a team. Must have knowledge of community resources. Must have access to reliable transportation and be able to travel locally on frequent basis. College degree helpful, though not required. Relevant experience considered in lieu of college. Preference given to qualified individuals with a disability.
Essential Job Duties:
- Conduct regular (at least once every two weeks), on-site nursing home outreach on a consistent basis to 5 county service area to increase awareness of nursing home transition services and identify consumers interested in moving out.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with co-workers, nursing home personnel, Nursing Home Ombudsman, Gateway to Community Living, Area Agencies on Aging, the SAIL program, and other providers.
- Assist 12-15 individuals transition from nursing homes to the community annually.
- Meet with each nursing home transition consumer in person at least monthly (more often as necessary) to assist them in developing and implementing a plan to transition from nursing home to community.
- Advocate with the consumers to ensure resources (core independent living services, housing, transportation, personal assistance, assistive technology, social security, Medicaid, Medicare, community resources, etc.) needed to successfully transition from the institution to the community are in place in a timely manner.
- Provide monthly follow-up service for at least 180 days post-transition.
- Maintain Consumer Service Records (hard copy and electronic), including intake information, case notes, consumer goals, etc. according to Disability Rights & Resources procedures.
- Document community activities in data management system according to Disability Rights & Resources procedures.
- Provide written monthly reports to supervisor regarding nursing home transition consumers by the 10th of each month.
- Actively participate in staff training activities, including staff meetings.
- Other duties as required by supervisor
Full-time position based in Oneonta, AL
Please email Resume and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: Assist individuals with disabilities, of all ages, in Blount and St, Clair Counties to set and meet their independent living goals,
Job Requirements: Minimum of High School Diploma, some college preferred. Relevant experience considered in lieu of college. Preference given to qualified individuals with a disability. Must agree to a criminal background check. Personal experience with disability preferred. Demonstrated commitment to independent living philosophy. Must have knowledge of community resources. Must have good interpersonal, communication, and peer mentoring skills. Must be able to work with diverse populations. Must be adaptable while still being task-oriented. Must have initiative. Must be willing to learn more about civil rights laws and services for people with disabilities. Must have access to reliable transportation. Must be able to document services provided. Must have basic knowledge of computer operations including MS Office.
- Provide core independent living services to a cross-disability population, including individual advocacy, peer support (individual and group), independent living skills training, and information and referral, and transition.
- Assist consumers in establishing independent living goals, provide support towards meeting the stated goal, and document goal attainment.
- Advocate for equal access for people with disabilities in Blount and Walker Counties. Support Disability Rights and Resources advocacy goals and activities.
- Provide information and referral to the community.
- Document consumer activities and consumer demographics, contacts, goals, community activities and other data in accordance with agency standards.
- Maintain Consumer Service Records in accordance with Disability Rights and Resources and funder requirements.
- Work in a collaborative and professional manner with service providers, government agencies, private sector, consumers, and coworkers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Date posted: 3/20/19