COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT SPECIALIST
Job Title: Community Empowerment Specialist
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Location: Birmingham, AL
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Must have knowledge of and commitment to independent living philosophy. Must be able to successfully engage groups learning advocacy skills. Must have demonstrated experience in self or systems advocacy. Must have good organizational, planning, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills. Must work well as a member of a team. Must have knowledge of community resources. Must have access to reliable transportation and be able to travel within project service area. Those with personal disability-related experience encouraged to apply.
Essential Job Duties:
- Conduct an outreach and marketing campaign targeted at increasing the knowledge and participation of underserved populations in self-advocacy and systems advocacy activities.
- Conduct outreach presentations to non-profit disability organizations, other social service agencies, and government agencies to identify participants.
- Plan and conduct three self-advocacy workshops for up to 50 individuals with developmental disabilities and/or family members to improve self-advocacy skills, using an Advocacy Skill Building Toolkit that incorporates improv skills.
- Assist workshop participants set personal goals and systems advocacy goals to address through advocacy.
- Recruit and assign mentors to support individuals in reaching their personal goals.
- Plan and conduct and orientation and workshops to increase the participation of up to 20 individuals with developmental and/or family members to become more active in their communities by serving on boards, committees, councils, advocacy groups, advocacy groups, advisory groups, etc.
- Match participants with a representative of one or more community organizations that address their area(s) of interest to learn more about how they can become involved.
- To develop a “Moving Out” curriculum and app that will assist individuals with developmental disabilities transitioning from living at home to independence.
- Interview 20 self-advocates that have successfully transitioned to independence over the past 10 years to identify barriers, strategies for completing their goals, and information they would have found helpful.
- Field test the curriculum and app with self-advocates and make modifications based upon feedback.
- Document activities according to Disability Rights & Resources procedures and prepare quarterly reports.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or required by grantor.
Part time position based in Jasper, AL
Please email Resume and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: Assist individuals with disabilities, of all ages, in Walker County to set and meet their independent living goals,
Job Requirements: Minimum of High School Diploma, some college preferred. Must agree to a criminal background check. Personal experience with disability preferred. Demonstrated commitment to independent living philosophy. Must have knowledge of community resources. Must have good interpersonal, communication, and peer mentoring skills. Must be able to work with diverse populations. Must be adaptable while still being task-oriented. Must have initiative. Must be willing to learn more about civil rights laws and services for people with disabilities. Must have access to reliable transportation. Must be able to document services provided. Must have basic knowledge of computer operations including MS Office.
- Provide core independent living services to a cross-disability population, including individual advocacy, peer support (individual and group), independent living skills training, and information and referral, and transition.
- Assist consumers in establishing independent living goals, provide support towards meeting the stated goal, and document goal attainment.
- Advocate for equal access for people with disabilities in Walker County. Support Disability Rights and Resources advocacy goals and activities.
- Provide information and referral to the community.
- Document consumer activities and consumer demographics, contacts, goals, community activities and other data in accordance with agency standards.
- Maintain Consumer Service Records in accordance with Disability Rights and Resources and funder requirements.
- Work in a collaborative and professional manner with service providers, government agencies, private sector, consumers, and coworkers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Date posted: 10/4/18